Sunday, November 7, 2010

Confronting Superiors

"If you are not prepared to resign or be fired for what you believe in, then you are not a worker, let alone a professional. You are a slave." (Gardener, 2007).
My work year is 202 days so we return to work, three weeks before the teachers. On the first day back to work my supervisor was available for questions and concerns and we even had a brief staff meeting. The second week she did not come to work nor did she return for the third week. She attends a lot of conferences throughout the school weeks (or at least that what we assume) so we thought she was at a conference or workshop. But after after a few days and work related problems would arise, we began to ask the secretary if our boss would be in for the day and the response was, "you can reach her by email or cell phone. If she doesn't answer your call, she will return the call". This went on for two weeks, eventually we began to stop calling and emailing and started problem solving the situations as a department. Once my supervisor returned, the week that school started, instead of praising us for working registration and maintaining the department without her, she began to place demands that had never been placed on us before. For example, if you have to leave for more than an hour (family doctor's appointments, parent/teacher conference, on foreseen situations, etc.) call in half a day.
I found this demand to be odd since she was the one MIA for two weeks. This demand does not apply to her (my supervisor) or the secretary (she is hourly and can make up her hours missed). The problem is that it would be impossible for the secretary to make up her missed hours during a work week. She doesn't clock out for the time that she is away from the office and if she does clock out, it is for the hour that she is at the job and then once she clocks back in, she is gone for the majority of the day (basically my boss and the secretary cover for each other). When the secretary is there is is on the computer, work phone, or her cell phone. Things that we need are not been done (daily mail, filing paperwork, making copies). We never know when our boss will be in the office or not, we share our calendar with her but her whereabouts are secret (between the sec. and herself). Ethically I believe that this is very wrong but who am I to discuss this with my supervisor? Of course we discuss our concerns amongst ourselves behind closed doors but it has been stated that it is really none of our concern. I beg to differ; Ethically, I know that falsifying information is wrong but who am I to have this conversation with my boss and blowing the whistle is out of the question. I read the quote, from Gardner, to my husband this weekend and if I apply my work situation to Gardner's quote, I am a slave LOL. On a serious note, the inconsistent accountability (for all staff members) is really affecting the department and bringing down the moral of the group. I don't feel comfortable and don't feel that I would get support from blowing the whistle so I believe that it is time for me to reflect, pray and listen to God's direction for my future.

5 comments:

  1. That really stinks! She needs to read Gardner's Ethical mind chapter. I've been in those situations and my wife and I discussed a potential situation on the horizon just this morning. It's the proverbial rock and hard place to be in. You know your group would function better if the problem were addressed yet that is a potentially volatile situation to engage. My wife and I discussed that we would just do our best to do what we knew was right each and every day and let the rest take care of itself...it usually does; however, maybe, since your dept. is already talking about it and you all have acknowledged that your morale is effected because of the supervisor and secretary's actions, you all should band together and go to someone above her...together. Safety in numbers you know!
    Good luck with all that. I know it isn't a place you want to be in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. May God grant you wisdom as your work through your response to this situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was called to a behind the closed door meeting with my supervisor this morning- apparently I took a popshot at another manager during staff meeting, and it was 'uncalled for'. This other department is very lax and I spoke out. Other departments agree with me about the one department, I was the only one who spoke up. My supervisor (the Dean and Assist Dean) told me if we have any issues within our departments that cross over, we are grown adults and for us to work it out. I know the Bible says to go your brother and work things out, and then go to the elders of the church if things are unresolved. I am still confused about what happened this morning. I will pray for the Lord's guidance for you Gail (and me) to see what the Lord has us to do the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry that you are having to go through this. I unfortunately can empathize and sympathize with you. I will keep you in my prayers that God gives you the answer you need to find a good solution. I think that Everett's suggestion is a good one. DEFINITELY safety in numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have also been faced with a difficult situation such as yours. It is so difficult and almost disrespectful to confront a supervisor. Gail, you are an amazing person...do your best work everyday. Be strong and hold on to what you believe. You will make a difference by modeling strength and passion! I found strength in this verse during my times of difficulty.

    Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

    The neat thing is someone just recently shared this verse again with me. It must be a message the many of us need to hear! :)

    ReplyDelete